- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the gremolata mushrooms
- large handful flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 2 lemons, grated zest only
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
For the sardines
- 4-6 sardines, scaled and gutted
- ½ lemons, cut into wedges
1. For the gremolata mushrooms: mix the parsley, lemon zest and garlic together in a bowl, season with salt and black pepper and gradually stir in the olive oil. Pour this over the mushrooms in a large bowl and toss gently, using your fingers, to combine.
2. For the sardines: preheat the grill to high. Line the grill pan with aluminium foil.
3. On each sardine, make 3 deep, diagonal cuts through the flesh until you feel the backbone. Sprinkle with salt then arrange on the grill pan and grill for 6-8 minutes or until cooked (you don't need to turn them). Alternatively cook on a hot barbecue.
4. Serve the grilled sardines with the gremolata mushrooms and wedges of lemon.
Rate This Recipe