- Serves: 1-2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 red peppers, deseeded and cut into 2cm peices
- 1/2 tins chopped tomato
- good splash red wine
- 1 small bunch basil, leaves coarsely chopped
- 3 sardines, cleaned and gutted
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped fennel, stems or feathery fronds
- lemon wedges, to serve
1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the red peppers and a pinch of salt and cook down for 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and a splash of red wine to the peppers and cook slowly for a further 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the basil. Transfer to a serving bowl and keep warm.
4. Heat a large griddle until hot and wipe it over with a clean rag and a few drops of olive oil, so the griddle will be clean and non-stick.
5. Stuff each sardine with the fennel fronds and sprinkle generously with sea salt.
6. Cook the sardines on each side for about 5 minutes, depending on size. Remove the sardines from the pan and serve on a large plate with lemon wedges, accompanied by the peppers in a separate bowl.
Rate This Recipe