- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus standing and marinating time
- Effort: easy
- 250 g firm tofu
- 4 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 4 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 large handful bean sprouts
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 handfuls salad leaves
- ¼ cucumber, seeds removed, finely shredded
- ½ limes, sliced
For the dressing
- 1 tsp finely chopped shallots
- 1 cm piece ginger, peeled and grated
- ½ small clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp tomato ketchup
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 1½ tbsp light soy sauce
Tips and Suggestions
Any leftover salad dressing can be kept in the fridge for a few days in a screwtop jar.
1. Cut the tofu into two steaks about 2cm thick, then cut each steak into six squares. Place the tofu on a clean tea towel, cover with another clean tea towel (or use several sheets of kitchen paper) and lay two chopping boards on top. Leave for at least 30 minutes to press the tofu lightly and remove the excess water.
2. Combine the saké, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and a little salt in a mixing bowl, then add the tofu. Scatter over the spring onions and marinate for 45 minutes, tossing occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, blanch the beansprouts in a small saucepan of boiling water for 10 seconds only. Drain, refresh under cold water, then set aside to drain and cool completely.
4. For the dressing: whisk together all the ingredients plus ½ tablespoon water in a small bowl or screwtop jar and set aside.
5. Lift the tofu from the marinade, shaking off the spring onions and reserving the excess marinade.
6. Heat a griddle until smoking and lightly oil it. Place the tofu on the griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
7. Toss the salad leaves in 3 tablespoons of the dressing and divide among serving plates.
8. Mix together the cucumber and blanched beansprouts and add them to the salad leaves. Top with the lime slices and tofu and spoon over the reserved marinade.
Rate This Recipe