- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1/4 red onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- 1-2 green or red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2-3 ripe medium avocado, depending on size
- 2 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and finely chopped
- juice of 1/2-1 limes
- pinch of sugar
- salt and black pepper
- sprigs coriander
- cayenne pepper
1. Mix the onion, garlic, coriander and chillies on a chopping board and chop together very finely (or whiz in a food processor).
2. Peel and stone the avocados and mash with a potato masher or fork and then stir in the chopped flavourings. Add the tomatoes, limejuice, sugar, salt and pepper. Taste and add more lime if needed (there should be just enough to take the edge off the richness of the avocado without making it too tart).
3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, smooth down and cover with Clingfilm to keep the air out as much as possible, to delay browning.
4. Just before serving, give it a light stir to reveal the vivid colour of the puree, then scatter with a little extra coriander and a very light dusting of cayenne.
Rate This Recipe