- Serves: 8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 120 g dried tinned butter beans
- 120 g dried broad beans
- 120 g dried large red haricot beans
- 120 g dried small pearl haricot beans
- 120 g dried brown beans
- 1 kg pork fillet, ( or 1 pig's trotter)
- piece of shin beef
- 240 g onions, chopped
- 240 g carrots, sliced
- 1 litres fresh jellied chicken or veal stock
- sprigs parsley
- sprig thyme
- sprig of sage
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper
1. Place the butter, broad, haricot, pearl haricot and brown beans in a large bowl or pan. Cover generously with cold water and set aside to soak overnight. Drain the following day.
2. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
3. Place the soaked beans in a large casserole dish. Add the pork, beef, onion, carrot, stock, parsley, thyme, sage and bay leaf. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Cover the casserole dish and bake it for 7 hours, until the beans and meat are tender. Check now and then, topping up with stock or water as necessary. Check the seasoning is correct before serving.
Rate This Recipe