- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 litres chicken stock
- 1 litres water
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 400 g Kielbasa Polish sausages, or chorizo, sliced
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 250 g okra
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 100 g spring onions, sliced
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- Cajun-style white rice, (white rice mixed with spring onion, cayenne & lemon juice)
- hot chilli sauce
Tips and Suggestions
Kielbasa is uncooked and smoked Polish sausage, made from coarsely ground lean pork with beef added and highly seasoned with garlic.
1. Heat together the stock and water in a large saucepan.
2. Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and fry the sausages for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the pan and reserve.
3. Add the chicken, cook for 2-3 minutes until golden and remove from the pan.
4. Fry the okra for 5 minutes, until golden and then add the onion and celery fry for a further 1-2 minutes.
5. Stir okra, celery and onion into the stock, followed by the chicken, and simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and gumbo is thickened.
6. Add the sausages and spring onions, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Serve with Cajun rice in large soup bowls, adding hot chilli sauce to taste.
Rate This Recipe