- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 100 g haggis
For the tempura batter
- 50 g plain flour
- 50 g cornflour
- 100 ml sparkling water
- flour, to dust
- oil, for deep frying
For the salad
- 1/2 carrot, very thinly sliced in to julienne
- 50 g turnips, very thinly sliced into julienne
- 1/2 head pak choi, finely shredded
- 1 tbsp snipped chives
- few frisée
For the dressing
- 50 ml whiskey
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
1. Shape the haggis into small chestnut-size balls.
2. For the tempura batter: place flour and cornflour in a bowl, add the mineral water and whisk to combine.
3. Dust the haggis with flour then dip in the tempura batter.
4. Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer. When hot add the haggis and fry until crisp and golden. Drain and season with salt and pepper.
5. For the salad: place the carrot, turnip and pak choi in a bowl. Add the chives and frisée leaves.
6. For the dressing: heat the whisky in a pan and bring to the boil. Cook steadily to cook off all the alcohol.
7. Pour the whisky into a bowl and whisk in the mustard and the vinegar. Gradually add the olive oil, whisking constantly until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Pour half over the vegetables and allow to stand for a few minutes.
8. To serve: place a small mound of salad on the centre of the plate, top with the haggis tempura and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Rate This Recipe