- Serves: 18
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cupcakes
- 250 g unsalted butter, softened
- 250 g golden caster sugar
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- apricot jam
- ready rolled white icing, such as Silver Spoon Cakecraft
- black food colouring, such as Silver Spoon Cakecraft
- chocolate, letters and numbers, such as Silver Spoon Cakecraft
Tips and Suggestions
Experiment with decorating cupcakes in different spooky ways. Roll out white fondant icing and drape over your cupcakes to create ghosts, make horns out of black fondant icing and use to top your cupcakes or use chocolate letters to write spooky messages - the main thing is, have fun creating them!
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3. Line muffin trays with 18 cupcake papers.
2. Place all the cupcake ingredients into a mixing bowl. Beat together, preferably with an electric mixer, until the mixture is pale and fluffy
3. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake papers and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes in the tin, before transferring to a wire rack.
4. To decorate: once cool, you can start decorating your cakes. Bring the apricot jam to simmer in a small pan. Using a pastry brush, brush the exposed cake with the jam.
5. To make a gravestone effect, take a walnut-sized piece of ready rolled white icing and add a few drops of natural black food colouring. Mix and knead until you get a marbled effect. Flatten slightly and place over the top of the cupcake. Top with chocolate letters.
Recipe provided by Silver Spoon
Rate This Recipe