- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: medium
For the sauce
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 400 ml milk
- 250 g taleggio cheese, roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
For the croquettes
- 4 floury potatoes, such as King Edwards or Maris Piperpeeled
- 6 thick slices ham, roughly chopped
- 1/2 nutmeg, grated
- pinches celery salt
- bunches parsley, chopped
- 100 g parmesan, grated
- pinches ground black pepper
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
For the coating
- 3 eggs
- 100 ml milk
- 6 tbsp flour, for dusting
- 200 g panko Japanese breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. For the sauce, cook the butter and flour in a saucepan over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes, until it takes on a nutty aroma. Add the milk, a little at a time and beat until the mixture is smooth.
2. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chopped cheese and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice; keep the sauce warm.
3. To make the croquettes, cut the potatoes into even-sized chunks and boil until soft. Drain and mash the potatoes, then transfer to a bowl.
4. Stir in the chopped ham, nutmeg, celery salt, parsley, Parmesan, black pepper, flour and egg yolk until thoroughly combined, and divide into 6 even-sized balls. Roll the balls out on a floured surface into long cylinders and cut into pieces 2.5cm long.
5. For the coating, beat together the eggs and milk in a mixing bowl. Dip the croquettes into the flour, then into the egg and milk, and finally into the breadcrumbs. Heat the oil to 160C and deep-fry the croquettes until golden.
6. Meanwhile, reheat the sauce. Serve with a green leafy salad and the cheese sauce poured over the croquettes.
Rate This Recipe