- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2.2 kg unsmoked joint gammon
- 10 cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- bunch spring onions
- 2 red chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 star anise
- 400 g sushi rice
- steamed pak choi, to serve
1. Put the ham in a large pan with the ginger, garlic and tomatoes.
2. Thinly slice the spring onions and add the white parts to the pan with the chillies and star anise.
3. Cover with 3 litres of cold water and bring to the boil. Partially cover the pan and simmer very gently for 3 hours, skimming the surface frequently.
4. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to packet instructions.
5. When the ham is cooked, lift it carefully onto a board and leave to rest for a couple of minutes.
6. Divide the rice and greens between 8 bowls.
7. Carve the ham and place the slices alongside the rice.
8. Ladle some fragrant broth into each bowl, scatter over the remaining spring onion slices and serve swiftly.
Rate This Recipe