- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the knuckle ham
- 1 ham knuckles
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp muscovado sugar
- 8 black peppercorns
For the spring onion mayonnaise
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 250 ml peanut oil
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
For the salad
- 2 baby gem lettuce
- olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 4 eggs, softly boiled for 5 ½ minutes
- 2 slices fresh pineapples
- 1 bunches purple cress or mustard cress
1. For the knuckle ham: put the ham knuckle in a pan with the onion, bay leaves, sugar and peppercorns. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for about 2 hours, topping up the water as needed.
2. Remove the meat from the pan and leave to cool a little before removing the fat.
3. For the spring onion mayonnaise: whisk the egg yolks and vinegar together. Stir in the mustard. Slowly add the oil, continually whisking until all the oil is added, occasionally adding a few drops of hot water. Season with salt and pepper and add the spring onions.
4. For the salad: cut the bottom off the little gems, wash, pat dry and toss in a bowl with a little olive oil and few drops of lemon juice.
5. Scatter the leaves between four plates. Using your fingers, tear strips off the cooked knuckle of ham and scatter over the lettuce.
6. Halve the tomatoes and soft boiled eggs and divide between the plates.
7. Remove the skin and core from the pineapple and cut into chunks. Add to the salads.
8. Drizzle over the spring onion mayonnaise, scatter over the cress and season with a pinch of sea salt and freshly milled black pepper.
Rate This Recipe