- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6 Toulouse sausages
- 1 ham hock
- 110 g smoked bacon, cut into strips
- 55 g pearl barley
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 clove garlic, skin on
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into big chunks
- 2 leeks, coarsely shredded
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 small Savoy cabbage, cut into quarters, core removed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp vegetable bouillon
- 1 bouquet garni, (a bundle of thyme, sage, parsley and rosemary)
- black pepper
- olive oil croutons
- flat leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. Heat a griddle pan until hot. Place the Toulouse sausages on the griddle and cook briefly on each side until lightly browned.
3.Place the ham hock in a large casserole dish, then add the bacon, Toulouse sausages, pearl barley, carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, leeks, red pepper, cabbage, turmeric, bouillon and bouquet garni.
4. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add in enough cold water to cover the ingredients, cover the casserole dish and bake in the oven for two hours.
5. To serve, ladle the vegetables into a bowl, place the meat on top and serve with olive oil croutons, flat-leafed parsley and basil pesto.
Rate This Recipe