- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- butter, for spreading
- 2 thin slices sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 1 handfuls grated cheddar
- 1-2 slices smoked ham
- oil, for frying
- 2 eggs
- smoked paprika, to taste
1. Butter each slice of bread on both sides. Place the cheese and ham on one piece of bread, season with black pepper, and sandwich with the other piece.
2. Lightly oil and frying pan and heat it over a medium-low setting (you dont want it too hot as the cheese in the sandwich needs to melt before the bread burns). Lay the sandwich in the warm pan and cook gently, pressing down on the sandwich from time to time to flatten it slightly and stick the pieces of bread together.
3. When the underside is golden and toasted, flip the sandwich over a cook on the other side.
4. Meanwhile, put the eggs in a small pan of boiling water and cook for 4 minutes. Remove the eggs to two egg cups and slice off the tops. Sprinkle over some smoked paprika and salt and pepper as desired.
5. Once the sandwich is cooked, remove it from the heat and cut into soldiers. Serve with the soft-boiled eggs, using the soldiers to dip in the yolks.
Rate This Recipe