- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: easy
- 180 g butter
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 240 g self-raising flour, sifted
- finely grated zest of 1 oranges
- 90 120g of hazelnuts, roughly chopped
Tips and Suggestions
You can keep the mixture for 4-5 days, wrapped up like a fat sausage in your fridge. Slice it like a salami, and cook the biscuits as you need them.
1. Using a standing mixer or electric hand beater, cream the butter and sugar thoroughly for 4-5 minutes until pale.
2. Mix in the egg, sifted flour, orange zest and nuts.
3. Form mixture into two balls, then roll them out with both hands until you have a sausage, about 5cm in diameter. Wrap separately in waxed paper and foil and refrigerate, preferably overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
5. Slice the sausage into biscuits about the thickness of a pound coin. Place them on the baking sheet, leaving a bit of space between them to allow for expansion.
6. Bake for 7-8 minutes, checking them carefully as they easily burn.
7. Immediately lift them from the tray with a palette knife. Place on a rack to crisp.
Rate This Recipe