- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 250 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 60 ml milk
- 120 g butter, melted
- 250 g roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 50 g dark chocolate, for grating
For the zabaglione
- 150 g caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 150 medium marsala
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Sieve the flour into a large bowl, then add the sugar, eggs, milk, butter, hazelnuts and lemon zest. Mix well and pour into a standard 23cm cake tin.
3. Bake for 30 minutes until the cake is risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Grate chocolate and sprinkle on the cake straightaway.
5. For the zabaglione: vigorously whisk the sugar, egg yolks and Marsala over a bain marie on a high heat, until the eggs increase 4 fold in volume. Make sure the mixture doesnt boil or curdle.
6. Serve the cake warm or at room temperature, with the hot zabaglione poured over the top.
Rate This Recipe