- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the hazelnut cracknel
- 100 g toasted hazelnuts, lightly crushed
- 210 g caster sugar
- 125 ml water
For the hazelnut fondant
- 1 tsp cocoa powder, for dusting out the moulds
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 125 g chocolate
- 60 g caster sugar
- 3 small eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 125 g plain flour, sieved
- 40 g toasted hazelnuts, ground
For the caramel sauce
- 85 g dark brown sugar
- 60 ml rum
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 150 ml double cream
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Lightly butter 4 x 150ml dariole moulds and dust them out with a little cocoa powder.
2. To make the cracknel, cover a baking tray with a sheet of non-stick baking parchment and lightly brush with oil.
3. Sprinkle the crushed hazelnuts over the tray in an even layer.
4. Place the sugar and water in a pan and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes, until golden and thick.
5. Pour the sugar carefully over the hazelnuts and leave until cold before peeling off and breaking into pieces.
6. For the fondant, melt the butter and chocolate together in a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
7. Whisk together the sugar, eggs and egg yolks until light and pale.
8. Pour the melted butter and chocolate over the egg mixture.
9. Using a metal spoon, fold in the flour and hazelnuts. Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared moulds and bake for 8 minutes.
10. To make the caramel sauce, place the sugar, rum and butter into a pan and heat gently, stirring continuously, until the butter melts.
11. Add the cream and simmer for 5 minutes or so, until the sauce is thick and bubbling.
12. Turn the puddings out onto serving plates. Spoon over the caramel sauce and decorate with shards of hazelnut brittle.
13. Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve.
Rate This Recipe