- Serves: Makes 10-15
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 egg whites
- 120 g caster sugar
- 500 g ground hazelnuts
- 150 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids broken in pieces
- 250 ml double cream
- punnet of strawberries, washed, hulled and dried
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. Whisk in half the sugar until the egg whites turn glossy. Gradually whisk in the rest of the sugar.
4. Using a metal spoon, gently fold in the ground hazelnuts.
5. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle. Pipe swirls of the mixture onto baking sheets lined with non-stick baking parchment. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until crisp. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
6. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or bowl set above a saucepan of simmering water.
7. With the flat side facing down, dip each of the meringues into the chocolate. Place flat side up on a wire rack and allow to dry.
8. Whisk the cream until thick. Pipe a thick layer over the chocolate-dipped side of a meringue and sandwich with another. Top with a strawberry.
Rate This Recipe