- Serves: 8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the meringues
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 170 g caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g toasted hazelnuts, finely ground or chopped
For the cream
- 450 ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp hazelnut liqueur, such as Frangelico
For the fruit
- 150 g raspberries
- 50 ml sugar syrup
- 400 g strawberries, hulled and halved
1. For the meringues: preheat the oven to 120C/100C fan/Gas ½. Whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar together until soft peaks form. Begin slowly adding the sugar and vanilla and continue whisking until the meringue forms stiff peaks and the mixture is glossy.
2. Fold in the hazelnuts then spoon the meringue into 10cm round tart tins and bake for 1 hour.
3. Remove to wire racks to cool, leaving the meringues in the tins just until they are cool enough to handle, then turn them out and leave to cool completely.
4. For the cream: in a separate bowl, whisk together the cream, vanilla and icing sugar until the mixture forms soft peaks. Add the Frangelico to taste, whisking to combine.
5. For the fruit: put the raspberries and sugar syrup in a jug and purée with a stick blender until smooth.
6. Place the meringues on serving plates. Add a spoonful of cream and arrange the strawberries cut-side down on top of the cream, creating a mound of strawberries. Pour over the raspberry sauce and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe