- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g extra lean minced beef
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 fresh chillies, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinches cayenne pepper
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 600 ml beef stock
- 400 g can kidney beans, drained
- small handful coriander, chopped
- plain rice
- low-fat natural yogurt or crème fraîche, (optional)
1. Dry fry the minced beef in a large saucepan over a high heat for about 5 minutes, or until browned. Pour off any fat then reduce the heat to medium-low. Pour in the olive oil then add the onion and garlic and fry for about 5 minutes, until softened.
2. Add the chillies and spices and continue frying, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée and beef stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is slightly reduced.
3. Season with black pepper and stir in the drained kidney beans. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes, adding a little extra stock if needed.
4. Scatter over the coriander and serve with rice and a spoonful of yogurt or crème fraîche, if you like.
Rate This Recipe