- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 120 g raw peeled prawns
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g chorizo, cut into thick slices
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 small squash such as butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 170 g brown basmati rice
- 400 ml chicken stock
- handfuls fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ lemons, juice only
1. Mix the prawns with half the garlic, the paprika, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and a generous grinding of black pepper. Set aside.
2. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat, add the chorizo slices and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and releasing their oil into the pan. Transfer the chorizo to kitchen paper to drain, leaving the excess oil in the pan.
3. Add the chicken slices to the chorizo oil in the pan and season with black pepper. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown. Remove from the pan and add to the chorizo slices.
4. Heat the remaining olive oil in the pan and add the squash, red pepper and remaining garlic. Fry for 2-3 minutes until just beginning to soften then pour in the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the rice, coating well with the contents of the pan, then pour in the chicken stock and season with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
6. Add the prawns and any juices that have collected in the bowl, along with the chorizo and chicken and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
7. To serve, scatter with parsley and squeeze over the lemon juice.
Rate This Recipe