- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus chilling and resting
- Effort: medium
For the salt crust beef
- 500 g coarse sea salt
- 4 tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 2 egg whites
- 400 g plain flour
- 150 ml water
- 500 g beef fillet, trimmed
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
For the creamed horseradish
- 5 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp freshly grated horseradish
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
For the cabbage
- 50 g butter
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 200 g spring cabbage, shredded
1. For the salt crust: place the salt, three quarters of the chopped herbs and the egg whites into a bowl and slowly work in the flour with your hands, adding sufficient water to form a dough. Cover with clingfilm and leave to rest for 1 hour in the fridge.
2. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
3. Season the beef with pepper and seal in a hot pan, turning for 1 ½ - 2 minutes until caramelised and golden all over.
4. Remove the beef from the pan and in the reserved chopped herbs. Leave to cool.
5. Roll out the salt-crust dough to ½ cm in thickness and place the beef in the centre. Fold the dough around so the beef is parcelled in the centre.
6. Turn the parcel over and brush well with the egg yolk. Make a hole at the top and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
7. Rest the beef in the salt crust for 20 minutes before cracking the crust open and discarding it.
8. For the creamed horse radish: combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. For the cabbage: melt the butter in a pan and add the caraway seeds. Cook for 30 seconds, add the cabbage and cover the pan and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
10. To serve: slice the beef, place the cabbage next to the beef slices and spoon the creamed horseradish on the side.
Rate This Recipe