- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 375 g dry home-cured bacon, rind removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cooking apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 150 ml dry cider
- 350 g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- beaten eggs, for glazing
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. Place the bacon, onion, apple and parsley in a 570ml pie dish and mix together.
3. Blend the cornflour with a little of the cider to make a smooth paste. Stir in the remaining cider and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into the pie dish.
4. On a floured surface, roll out the pastry dough
5. Cut off a long strip to fit round the edge of the pie dish. Brush the rim of the dish with a little water and press the dough strip around it. Brush with water.
6. Place the dough lid on top, trim off the surplus and press the edges together in a fluted pattern.
7. Brush the dough with beaten egg and cut a hole in the middle.
8. From the dough trimmings cut decorative leaves and arrange on top. Brush with beaten egg.
9. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden and the filling is cooked.
Rate This Recipe