- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes plus resting
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 8 tinned anchovies
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 tbsp honey
- splashes white wine vinegar
- splashes white wine
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprigs rosemary
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1x1.7 kg leg of hogget, boned
- 200 ml white wine
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
2. Using a food processor, blend together the anchovies, capers, honey, white wine vinegar and white wine. Season.
3. Once the mixture has formed a paste, add the lemon zest and garlic and blend for a further 10 seconds, or until combined.
4. Using a pastry brush, brush the mustard over the outside of the lamb then pour over the anchovy mixture making sure all of the lamb is covered. Tie up the leg with string.
5. Put the remaining herb sprigs and the zestless lemon halves in the bottom of a roasting tray. Sit the hogget on top and roast for 30 minutes.
6. Pour over the white wine, turn down the oven to 180C/gas 4 and cook for another 40 minutes (if you prefer your meat well done, cook for about an hour). Baste the hogget while it's cooking.
7. Remove from the oven and rest for 10 -12 minutes before carving. Serve with roast potatoes and roasted vegetables.
Rate This Recipe