- Serves: 4-5
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 225 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- pinches salt
- 115 g chilled butter or lard, diced
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 250 ml full fat milk
- custard or cream
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Sieve the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub the butter or lard into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add the water and knead to form a stiff dough. Roll out onto a floured work surface to form a rectangular strip about 3.5cm thick. Spread over the golden syrup evenly and roll up like a Swiss roll.
4. Put into a buttered ovenproof dish and pour in enough milk to come about half-way up the side of the pudding. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, or until the pastry is golden-brown.
5. To serve, cut the roll into slices while still hot, and drizzle over the custard or cream.
Rate This Recipe