- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 200 g smoked pancetta
- 4 tbsp Italian olive oil
- 1 kg minced pork
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 pinches salt
- 2 pinches freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 egg whites
- 3 tbsp extra virgin Italian olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery
- 3 pinches chilli powder
- 600 g tinned lentils
- 200 g canned chopped tomatoes
1. Fry the pancetta in 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan for 3 minutes and allow to cool.
2. To prepare the sausage mixture, place the pork and pancetta in a large bowl, add the fennel seeds, black pepper and the parsley. Season with salt, add the nutmeg, the egg white and the extra-virgin olive oil and mix well.
3. Wrap the mixture in cling film to create a sausage shape, make 8 individual sausages and allow to rest for at least 2 hours.
4. In a large saucepan, fry the onions in the remaining olive oil until golden, add in the celery and the chilli and allow to soften.
5. Add the sausages and cook for 2 minutes turning frequently. Add the lentils (with their liquid) and the chopped tomatoes, season with salt and cook for 20 minutes on a low heat covered with a lid. Remove the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes.
6. Place some lentils in the middle of each serving plate, top each portion with 2 sausages and serve with some warm crusty bread.
Rate This Recipe