- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the mash
- 2 large Desiree potatoes
- 50 ml milk
- 50 g unsalted butter
For the béchamel sauce
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 30 g plain flour
- 400 ml milk
For the filling
- 200 g salmon, cut into chunks
- 200 g cod, cut into chunks
- 200 g smoked haddock, cut into chunks
- 100 g frozen peas
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4.
2. For the mash: bake the whole potatoes in the oven for one hour, or until the potato is easily pierced.
3. Remove the potatoes from the oven, cut in half and press through a drum sieve or potato ricer into a bowl, discarding the skin.
4. Place the milk and butter into a pan and bring to a simmer, stirring until the butter is melted. Mix the mashed potato in slowly, using a spatula, until smooth and creamy. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. For the béchamel sauce: melt the butter in a pan and slowly stir in the flour, until the mixture forms a smooth paste. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. Gradually pour in the milk a little at a time, stirring continuously until you obtain a smooth velvety sauce. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. For the filling: place the fish and peas into a square 20cm/8in ovenproof dish. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Pour over the béchamel sauce. Spoon over the mash, starting at the edges and working towards the centre.
7. Bake the fish pie in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the topping is golden-brown. Serve with a mixed green salad.
Rate This Recipe