- Effort: easy
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 7 g dried yeast
- 200 ml milk, room temperature
- 200 ml soda water, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- non-stick cooking spray or vegetable oil
1. Sift the flour, caster sugar and yeast into a large bowl. Stir in the milk, then add the soda water and whisk until smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rest for about 1.5 hours, or until doubled in volume.
2. Beat in the bicarb and 1 tsp salt. Heat a heavy-bottomed frying pan or the griddle plate on your barbecue until mediumhot. Oil or spray the inside of the crumpet rings, as well as the pan or barbecue plate. Place the rings on the cooking surface, making sure they are evenly flat.
3. Spoon 331/2 tablespoons of batter into each ring and gently cook for 67 minutes, or until the batter is set and covered with little holes. Turn the crumpets over and cook for another 2 minutes. Sit the crumpets on a wire rack while continuing to cook the remaining mixture.
Rate This Recipe