- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes plus infusing time
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the pickled mushrooms
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 handful enoki and chestnut mushroom, trimmed and halved if necessary
For the couscous
- 125 g couscous
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the rocket pesto
- 1 bunch rocket
- 1/2 bunch chives, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed, diced
- olive oil
For the beetroot relish
- 1 cooked beetroot, diced
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds, toasted
- splash red wine vinegar
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
For the tortilla chips
- vegetable or groundnut oil, for deep frying
- 4 corn tortillas, wraps
- chilli powder, for sprinkling
Tips and Suggestions
All the relishes can be made a day ahead and chilled.
1. For the pickled mushrooms place the white wine vinegar in a small saucepan with the sugar, peppercorns and 250ml water. Bring to a simmer and stir to dissolve the sugar. Allow to cool slightly, then add the mushrooms in this vinegar pickling liquor. Set aside to marinate.
2. For the couscous tip the couscous into a heatproof bowl. Dissolve the vegetable stock cube in 200ml of boiling water, pour it over the couscous and scatter in a pinch of salt and a grating of nutmeg then drop in the cinnamon stick. Cover with clingfilm and leave to infuse for 10 minutes and for the couscous to cook. Fluff up with a fork to separate the grains.
3. For the rocket pesto/b> combine the rocket and chives together in a blender. Drop in the garlic clove, ½ the cucumber and slowly pour in enough olive oil to let the mixture down to a pesto consistency. Stir in the remaining ½ cucumber.
4. For the beetroot relish mix the diced beetroot, toasted mustard seeds, red wine vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil along with the chopped chilli. Taste and adjust as necessary.
5. For the tortilla chips heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok for deep frying. Cut the tortillas into triangles then fry briefly in the hot oil until golden and crisp. Remove, drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt and chilli powder.
6. To serve, drizzle a little olive oil over the couscous. Serve with the beetroot relish, the rocket pesto, the drained pickled mushrooms and the tortilla chips.
Rate This Recipe