- Serves: makes about 30
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 350 g filo pastry
- 180 g butter, melted
- 400 g walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
For the syrup:
- 450 g caster sugar
- 300 ml water
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp rose water
1. Set the oven to 200°C/ gas 6. Lay half of the filo sheets in a lightly buttered oval baking dish measuring about 20x28cm, one at a time, brushing each layer with melted butter as you go.
2. Mix together the nuts, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl and then scatter the mixture evenly across the pastry layers.
3. Lay the remaining pastry sheets over the nut mixture, brushing each layer with melted butter as before.
4. Carefully cut into portions with a sharp knife and place in the oven for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, put the caster sugar into a heavy based saucepan with the water, honey and rosewater. Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring continuously until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the syrup from the heat and leave until cold.
6. Remove the honey and walnut pastry from the oven and immediately pour the cold syrup evenly over the top of it.
7. Serve cold.
Rate This Recipe