- Serves: Makes 800g
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 6-8 hrs soaking
- Effort: medium
- 1/2 cm cinnamon stick, ground or finely crumbled
- 225 g yellow mustard seeds
- 300 ml white wine vinegar
- bunches rosemary, ground
- bunches thyme, ground
- 60 ml clear honey
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
1. In a spice grinder or pestle and mortar, grind the cinnamon stick.
2. Put the mustard seeds, vinegar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl, cover and leave to soak for 6-8 hours.
3. Transfer the soaked mustard seed mixture to a mortar and pestle, together with the honey. Pound to a stiff paste, adding a little more vinegar if necessary - alternatively, process in a food processor.
4. Grind the rosemary and thyme to a powder.
5. Transfer half the mustard to another bowl. Add rosemary and thyme to one batch, and the chilli, tomato paste and garlic to the other.
6. Transfer to sterilised jars, cover and seal. Store in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Rate This Recipe