- Serves: 6
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 6 hrs standing time
- Effort: easy
- 225 g white rice
- 50 g ground almonds
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 1 litres water
- 0.5 tsp vanilla sugar
- 90 g sugar
1. Put the rice in a blender and process for two to three minutes, until ground to a powder.
2. Combine the pulverized rice, ground almonds and cinnamon stick. Cover tightly and leave to sit overnight or for at least six hours.
3. Remove the cinnamon stick and place the rice mixture in the blender. Blend for four or five minutes until the mixture is smooth, powdery and no longer has a gritty texture. Add a third of the water and blend again for about 15 seconds.
4. Strain into a jug through a dampened tea towel or coffee filter. Do not skip this step or the drink will have a chalky taste.
5. Add most of the remaining water, little by little, as well as the vanilla and the sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. If the mixture is too thick, add some additional water. Horchata should have the consistency of milk.
6. Cover and refrigerate. Horchata will keep several days, refrigerated. Serve it chilled in tall glasses over ice
Rate This Recipe