- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 30 mins marinating
- Effort: easy
- 450 g squid
- juice of 1/2 limes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 180 g spinach leaves
For the Coconut gravy:
- 2 tbsp Madras curry paste
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400 ml coconut milk
- a squeeze of lemon juice
1. Prepare the squid by chopping off and retaining the tentacles. Cut the squid bodies open. Using a small sharp knife cut slashes gently in a lattice pattern across the flesh, taking care not to cut too deeply.
2. In a bowl combine the lime juice, oil, red chilli and soy sauce. Add the prepared squid and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
3. To make the gravy heat a medium saucepan on the hob. Add the curry paste and tomato puree and fry for 30 seconds. Add the coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick wok or large griddle pan. Add the squid and the marinade. Fry over a high heat for 2-3 minutes until the squid is just cooked.
5. To serve, finish the gravy with a squeeze of lemon juice and spoon into large shallow soup bowls. Pile some spinach leaves into the centre of each and top with the spicy squid.
Rate This Recipe