- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 115 g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, eaten
- 85 g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 30 g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp milk
- double cream, to serve
For the cherry sauce:
- 75 g brown sugar
- 150 ml red wine
- 25 g butter
- 370 g tinned cherries, in syrup drained
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- juice of 1/2 lemons
- 4 tbsp brandy
1. Put the butter and sugar into a bowl. Beat until pale and light.
2. Add the beaten egg to the butter mixture a little at a time, beating together thoroughly after each addition.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa together. Add the ground almonds.
4. Add the milk. Stir until well combined.
5. Spoon the mix into a greased 1 litre pudding basin. Cover with a pleated layer of foil and tie with string to prevent moisture entering.
6. Put the bowl into a saucepan and fill with water until the water reaches halfway up the sides of the basin.
7. Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes.
8. Shortly before the pudding has complete cooking, prepare the cherry sauce. Gently heat the brown sugar with the red wine in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
9. Add the butter and stir, bringing the liquid to the simmer for 2-3 minutes.
10. Add the cherries and heat through.
11. Dissolve the arrowroot in the lemon juice and pour into the cherry mixture, stirring constantly.
12. Add the brandy. Cook until the sauce thickens and bubbles.
13. To serve, place a slice of the chocolate sponge on a serving dish, pour over double cream, then some cherry sauce. Dust with cocoa powder and serve.
Rate This Recipe