- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 1 hr soaking
- Effort: easy
- 6 hot cross buns, sliced in half
- 4 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread
- 16 prunes
- 600 ml double cream
- 300 ml milk
- 200 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- rum, to taste
1. Spread the hot cross buns with the hazelnut and chocolate spread and then sandwich in the prunes.
2. Cut each bun into four and press together firmly.
3. Heat the cream and the milk together in a saucepan. Add the chocolate and cook over low heat, stirring, until the chocolate melts, taking care not to bring the mixture to the boil.
4. Beat the eggs and sugar together in a mixing bowl and add the rum. Pour the chocolate cream over the egg mixture and stir well.
5. Place the hot cross bun sandwiches in a buttered 1.2 litre ovenproof dish. Pour over the chocolate egg and cream mixture and leave to soak in for 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4. Bake the pudding for 35 minutes. Serve.
Rate This Recipe