- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
For the smoked date syrup
- 150 g dates
- 1 pink grapefruit, peel only
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 apple, chopped into slices
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 litres sugar syrup
For the cocktail
- 2 dash orange bitters, or peach bitters
- 50 ml gold rum, such as Bacardi 8 Year
- vermouth, such as Noilly Prat rosso
1. For the smoked date syrup: put all ingredients into a sauce pan, with the dates lying on the top. On a low heat, simmer until brown sugar burns to a caramel. Remove the heat and leave on a side to chill for approx 20mins to half an hour.
2. Add to the sugar syrup and cook for 30 minutes until the flavours have infused. Filter through a cloth.
3. Put 10ml of the date syrup and the rest of the ingredients into a mixing glass, add ice, then stir to dilute. Single strain into a martini glass.
Rate This Recipe