- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 35 minutes including cooking the potatoes and celeric
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 smoked mackerel fillet
For the mash
- 0.5 celeriac
- 1 Maris Piper potatoes, cooked
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- 75 ml yogurt, plain
- 1 tbsp grain mustard
- 1 pinches black pepper
For the relish
- 100 g white sugar
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 50 ml white wine
- 1 large cucumber, skinned and seeded
- 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
For the spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bags spinach leaves
1. For the mash: peel the potatoes and celeriac, and cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until tender - about 20 minutes. Drain.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and tip in the garlic. Add the cooked celeriac and potato and mash together.
3. Stir in the nutmeg, yoghurt and mustard, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 1 minute until creamy and heated through.
4. For the relish: put the sugar, white wine and white wine vinegar in a saucepan and simmer until it forms a syrupy consistency. Remove from the heat, add the cucumber and chilli flakes and bring back to the boil for a few seconds. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
5. Preheat the grill to a medium temperature.
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan and wilt the spinach by cooking for about 30 seconds.
7. Grill the mackerel fillets for 3 minutes and serve on a mound of mash and spinach, drizzled with the cucumber chilli relish.
Rate This Recipe