- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hours freezing
- Effort: medium
For the beignets
- 250 g hot smoked trout
- 80 g butter
- 80 g plain flour
- 500 ml milk
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 tbsp chopped chervil
- 125 g plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 125 g breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the salad
- 1 avocado, peeled, stone removed, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 2 tsp mayonnaise
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. For the beignets: make a roux by melting the butter in a small pan over a low heat. Once the butter is melted, stir in the flour a little bit at a time until the mixture is smooth. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then slowly add the milk, whisking continuously to prevent any lumps from forming. Set aside to cool.
2. Flake the hot smoke trout and fold it into the butter, flour and milk mixture. Mix in the chopped herbs and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Using slightly damp hands, take spoonfuls of the mixture and shape into quenelles. Place onto a baking tray and freeze for at least two hours.
4. Place the seasoned flour onto a plate, then gently roll a frozen quenelle in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip the floured quenelle in the egg, then finally coat in the breadcrumbs. Repeat until all the quenelles are coated in breadcrumbs.
5. Half-fill a deep, heavy-based pan with vegetable oil and heat until a cube of bread dropped in sizzles and turns golden-brown in 30 seconds when dropped in (CAUTION: hot oil may be dangerous. Do not leave unattended).
6. Carefully place each beignet into the hot oil and deep-fry for about 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp. Carefully remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
7. For the salad: combine all of the salad ingredients in a bowl.
8. To serve, place a small chefs ring on each plate and fill with some of the salad. Carefully remove the ring. Serve the beignets alongside the salad.
Rate This Recipe