- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 x 150 g rainbow trout fillets, skin on
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp muscovado sugar
- 30 g hickory wood chips
- salt and black pepper
For the salad
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 orange
- 1/2 limes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handfuls flat leaf parsley
With a sharp knife, make about 5 or 6 diagonal cuts across the flesh side of the fillet, taking care not to cut through the skin.
2. Slice 1 lime and place half slices into each incision made in the fish.
3. Squeeze the juice from the remaining lime over the fish and sprinkle with the muscovado sugar.
4. Place the fish on a large sheet of aluminium foil. Fold the other half of the foil over, to enclose the trout in a sealed package.
5. Take another sheet of foil and sprinkle over the hickory chips. Put the bag with the trout on top of the chippings.
6. Take a sharp knife and prick the top of the trout package 15 times.
7. Wrap the entire parcel in more foil, to seal everything in place - the chips should be below and the fish package on top.
8. Preheat a heavy griddle and add the foil parcel. Cook for about 7-10 minutes, over a moderate heat. Remove the parcel from the griddle.
9. While the fish is cooking in the smoky vapour from the hickory chips, make the salad. Finely slice the fennel, segment the orange, and combine in a bowl with the parsley. Add the lime juice, soy sauce and olive oil. Toss together and serve with the hot smoked trout.
Rate This Recipe