- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus marinating chilling
- Effort: medium
- 400 g salmon, pin boned
- 200 g table salt
- 200 g caster sugar
- 25 g cracked black pepper
- 25 ml whiskey
- 30 g grated horseradish
- 100 ml whipped cream
- brown bread and butter
1. Cut a circle of foil to fit the bottom of a wok. Place the foil in the base of the wok and scatter a few tablespoons of the woodchips over. Arrange a circular metal rack on top - it needs to fit half-way up the wok.
2. Trim the fillet. Mix the salt, sugar and pepper together to form a brine. Immerse the salmon in the brine for 1 hour, then remove and rinse well.
3. Pat dry, then brush with malt whisky. Allow to dry for 2-3 hours in the fridge, and then place the salmon on the rack in the wok. Cover with a tight fitting lid and smoke over a medium heat for 20 minutes, or until the salmon is almost cooked. . We are looking for a semi-roasted consistency. Allow to cool, then cut into chunks
4. For the horseradish cream: squeeze the grated horseradish through a cloth and combine with the whipped cream.
5. Serve the salmon chunks with horseradish cream and dressed watercress, and brown bread and butter.
Rate This Recipe