- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 chicken breast, skin on and first bone in
- 150 g salted butter
- black pepper
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and left whole
- a few sprig thyme
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 cm cubes
- 3 sticks celery
- 1 salsify root, peeled and sliced into 5 cm rounds
- 250 ml Burgundy red wine
- 50 g redcurrant jelly
- 250 ml madeira
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 6 peeled, cooked chestnuts
- 115 g spinach leaves
- a few black truffles, to garnish
1. Prepare the chicken breast by removing all the meat surrounding the first bone (the wing bone). Using the back of a knife, scrape away all the membrane from the bone and remove the top cartilage so the bone is left clean. Set to one side.
2. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6. Melt the butter in an ovenproof frying pan, heating until nut-brown. Season the chicken well with salt and freshly ground pepper just before adding to the pan, breast skin side down.
3. Add the garlic cloves and a sprig of thyme to the chicken. Cook for a few minutes, basting often, until the chicken skin side is a golden nut brown colour. Take care not to let the butter burn.
4. Transfer the pan to a pre-heated oven. Cook for chicken for 8 minutes, then remove and rest in a warm place for 5 minutes by which time it should be perfectly cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a large frying pan, heat together the red wine and red jelly until boiling. Cook until reduced by three-quarters. Add the Madeira and cook over a high heat until reduced by half. Add the chicken stock and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Strain the stock through a double muslin to remove any impurities. Return the stock to the frying pan and bring to the boil. Add the carrot, celery, salsify and chestnuts.
7. Return to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the spinach and the remaining thyme sprigs. Cook until spinach tender, around 1-2 minutes.
8. Transfer the sauce and vegetables to a serving bowl. Top with the roast chicken. Garnish with fresh truffle shavings and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe