- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- peanut oil, for frying
- 500 g fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 fresh jalapeño chillies, chopped
- 1 pinches sugar
- 2 small corn tortillas
- 2 eggs
- refried beans, to serve (optional)
1. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of peanut oil in a heavy-based frying pan, add the tomatoes and chillies and cook for about 25 minutes over a low heat, or until the tomatoes are reduced to a thick sauce.
2. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
3. In another pan, heat a little peanut oil and fry the tortillas for a few seconds on both sides, to soften. Drain on paper towels, wrap in foil and keep warm.
4. Fry the eggs in the same pan, adding more oil if needed, until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
5. To serve, put a warm tortilla on each plate, top with a fried egg and spoon tomato sauce onto each, leaving the yolk exposed. Serve with refried beans.
Rate This Recipe