- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400 g mushrooms, sliced
- 250 g huitlacoche (corn fungus)
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- 250 g mature cheddar cheese
- 250 g mozzarella, grated
- lightly dressed green salad, to serve
For the tomato salsa
- 250 g tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handfuls coriander, roughly torn
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan and sauté the onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the huitlacoche and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Remove from the heat.
3. For the tomato salsa: in a blender, roughly blitz together the tomatoes, onion, garlic, lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and sugar, then add most of the coriander and blitz again.
4. Sprinkle the tortillas with a mixture of the cheeses, and spread the huitlacoche mixture on top. Fold and put in a hot oiled pan, turning over after a minute or so. Repeat. You want the tortillas lightly browned.
5. Serve the fried tortillas with the fresh salsa and a lightly dressed green salad. Sprinkle over the rest of the torn coriander.
Rate This Recipe