- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 400g tinned chickpeas, well drained
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1-2 lemons
- salt and cayenne pepper
Tips and Suggestions
Hummous is a thick Middle Eastern sauce made from mashed chick-peas seasoned with lemon juice, garlic and olive or sesame oil. It's usually served as a dip with pieces of pitta, or as a sauce. When Tahini (sesame-seed paste) is added, it becomes hummous bi tahina.
1. In a blender, liquidise the chick-peas with the garlic, the extra-virgin olive oil and the lemon juice.
2. You can blend the hummous to adjust the texture to your preferred consistency. For a thinner paste, just add a little water. For a coarse puree blend it for a short time, or process is for much longer if you like it very fine and smooth.
3. Serve with pitta bread, roasted vegetables or a selection of crudités. It also makes a great garnish for fish, lamb, chicken and guinea fowl.
Rate This Recipe