- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the hunter's dish
- 75 g butter
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 225 g cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 12 medium potatoes, boiled, cooled and sliced
- 275 ml hot chicken stock
- 750 g cooked meat, such as pork leftover from a roast, sliced
For the cabbage
- 1 x450g red cabbage
- 2 knobs butter
- 275 ml water
- 3 cloves
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- dash malt vinegar, (optional)
1. For the hunter's dish: preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Grease an ovenproof casserole.
2. Heat a large knob of the butter in a frying pan, add the onions and apples and fry gently until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
3. Reserve enough potato slices to create a final layer at the end, then arrange alternate layers of the remaining potato slices, the meat and the onion and apple mixture in the prepared casserole, seasoning between each layer.
4. Pour the stock into the casserole, then arrange the reserved potato slices in a final layer over the top, covering everything completely. Dot with the remaining butter, then bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until hot throughout and browned on top.
5. For the cabbage: remove the outer leaves, then cut the cabbage in half and remove the core. Wash the cabbage, then shred it finely.
6. Put a knob of butter in a saucepan with the water. Add the cabbage, cloves and apples. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 45 minutes.
7. Stir in the remaining butter, sugar, and the vinegar, if using, and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Serve the baked hunter's dish with the braised cabbage.
Rate This Recipe