- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cake
- 100 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 orange, finely grated zest only
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g icing sugar, sifted
- 125 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the topping
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
Tips and Suggestions
Dipping a spoon or table knife in boiling water makes it easier to spread the icing.
Adapted from Rachel Allen, Bake (Collins)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Butter and flour the sides of a 20cm cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
2. For the cake: melt the butter gently in a saucepan and set aside.
3. Using a hand-held electric beater, whisk together the eggs, grated orange zest and caster and icing sugar for a few minutes until light and slightly fluffy. Stir in the melted butter and sift in the flour and baking powder. Fold it all together gently.
4. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin, smooth the surface and bake in the oven for 3540 minutes or until golden and set in the centre and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. Place the tin on a wire rack and allow to stand for about ten minutes before removing the cake carefully from the tin. Allow to cool on the wire rack.
6. For the topping: sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in just enough orange juice until it is soft but not runny.
7. When the cake is cool, place it on a serving plate or cake stand and spread the icing over the top. Serve in slices.
Rate This Recipe