- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 aubergines, cut into 2cm cubes
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 4 large clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- cayenne pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 125 g currants
- 100 ml passata, (sieved tomatoes)
- 2 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp mint
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- Greek yogurt, to serve
1. Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the aubergine and fry in batches for 4-5 minutes until golden brown all over. Remove from the pan with a perforated spoon. Drain well on crumpled paper towel, then transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add the tomatoes and garlic to the frying pan used for the aubergines. Stir in the allspice, cumin and cayenne. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until slightly reduced. Season to taste and allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, heat another 2 tablespoons of oil in a separate pan. Add the onion and gently fry for 7-10 minutes until golden brown and tender. Stir in the currants and simmer for another minute or so.
4. Add the onion mixture to the aubergines and allow to cool.
5. Stir in the passata and another tablespoon of olive oil. Mix in the tomatoes and garlic.
6. When ready to serve, stir in the coriander and mint. Serve with Greek yoghurt.
Rate This Recipe