- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 medium aubergines
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut lengthways
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 whole cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 40 g flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 300 ml hot water
1. Slice the aubergines in half lengthways, score the flesh and scoop out leaving a 1.5cm thick edge.
2. Heat the oil and sauté the onions and scooped out aubergine flesh together for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the cumin seeds, garlic, tomatoes, tomato purée, pepper and salt and simmer for a few minutes.
4. Spoon the mixture into the aubergine 'shells'.
5. Place the aubergines into an ovenproof dish and carefully pour round the hot water.
6. Cover with foil and bake at 200°C/gas 6 for 40 minutes or until aubergines are tender, topping up the water if it evaporates too quickly.
7. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
© The Vegetarian Society (recipe created by the Cordon Vert cookery school) www.vegsoc.org
Rate This Recipe