- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 50 g butter
- 2 fillets of impala (or substitute venison)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 whole peppercorns, crushed
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 cm ginger, finely chopped
- 6 button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Melt 20g of the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and brown the fillets on all sides. Add the shallots, garlic, peppercorns and tomatoes and allow them to soften slightly, and then transfer them to the banana leaf or foil. Place the meat on top.
2. Sprinkle over the chillies, ginger, mushrooms and drizzle over the olive oil.
3. Add a generous knob of butter and fold the leaf so the fillets are covered. Pin with cocktail sticks to secure the leaf (this will be unnecessary with foil).
4. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Allow the meat to rest for 30 minutes before carving to settle and firm the meat.
Rate This Recipe