- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: depending on size of haunch
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 5 kg impala haunch
- 4 tsp pepper, coarsely ground
- 8 whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tsp salt
- 100 g parsley, finely chopped
- bunch of sage, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp honey
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 5 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
1. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Cut several deep grooves into the round side of the haunch.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and sear the flat side of the haunch. Whilst this side is searing, press the rest of the ingredients into the meat ensuring that they go well into the cuts.
3. Remove the haunch and lay it onto a large sheet of foil. Using kitchen string, tie the haunch in three or four places so that the cuts close to a certain degree (to ensure that not too many of the ingredients seep out).
4. Wrap well in foil and roast for 1-2 hours, depending on the size of the haunch.
Rate This Recipe