- Serves: 6 individual tarts
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus 1 hour chilling
- Effort: easy
For the parmesan pastry
- 250 g plain flour
- 75 g freshly grated parmesan
- pinch of sea salt
- 100 g cold butter, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk, for brushing
For the filling
- 3 eggs
- 700 ml double cream
- sea salt, and freshley ground black pepper
- 200 g soft goats' cheese, crumbled
- 3 young, English leeks, washed, blanched in salted water, drained, cut into 1cm pieces
1. For the parmesan pastry: sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the parmesan, salt and butter.
2. Rub the fat into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs then pour in the egg.
3. Use your hands to bring the mixture together to form a dough. If the mixture is too wet, add a little flour, if its too dry, add a splash of cold water.
4. Wrap the dough in cling film and transfer to the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 120C/Gas ¼.
6. Remove the pastry from the fridge. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of about 3mm.
7. Lift the pastry up on the rolling pin and drape it over 6 individual tart rings (about 9cm diameter).
8. Push the dough down into the sides of the rings and trim off any excess. (Any leftover dough can be wrapped in a freezer bag and frozen for use in another recipe.)
9. Line the uncooked pastry cases with cling film and fill with baking beans or rice. Bake blind for 20 minutes or until the pastry is cooked and a light golden-brown colour.
10. Remove the cling film and baking beans and brush the bases of the pastry cases with the egg yolk. Return to the oven for 1-2 minutes to seal the bases then remove and set aside to cool.
11. Increase the oven to 170C/Gas 3.
12. For the filling: mix the eggs and cream together in bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and gently stir in the goats cheese and leeks.
13. Pour the filling into the cooled pastry cases and cook in the oven for 10 minutes or until just set in the centre.
14. Serve straight away with a green salad.
Rate This Recipe